Warning: file() [function.file]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /homepages/30/d186991128/htdocs/MacBlogzStaging/wp-content/themes/macblogz/header.php on line 101

Warning: file(http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=AAPL&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv) [function.file]: failed to open stream: Success in /homepages/30/d186991128/htdocs/MacBlogzStaging/wp-content/themes/macblogz/header.php on line 101

New 15″ Macbook Pro: First Unboxing Photos and Impressions

We just got our hands on a brand new 15″ Macbook Pro. Below are some photos of the unboxing experience and our general first impressions and thoughts about the new notebook.

Specs for this Macbook Pro: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM – 2×2GB, 320GB Serial ATA @ 7200, 6MB shared L2 cache, 1066MHz frontside bus

The box is extremely lightweight. Always a good sign. Apple has definitely factored in their overall carbon footprint. Like Steve said, smaller boxes, smaller palettes, less fuel and so on.

NOTE: Up until now, Macbook Pro’s have shipped in black boxes like their desktop kin. These are white.

The initial impression the notebook gives off when you open the box is very solid. It simply looks like a more unified machine. The unibody enclosure seems to wrap beautifully around the edges. It has more of a Macbook Air-like essence to it. Which is completely the right direction for Apple to be heading in.

The entire notebook is lighter and feels much sturdier than its predecessor. Both the weight and load balance throughout the entire machine seem spot on. So far, first impressions of the new Macbook Pro are very impressive.

The magnetic latch has finally been inherited by the Macbook Pro. No more of that pestering hatch closure. The way the shell seamlessly fits together when you open and close the machine give it a wonderfully high-end feel. Everything that Apple has been working to refine throughout its entire notebook line over the past few years has clearly made its way into the new Macbook Pro.

Apple has moved all of the ports to one side of the machine. The ports are: MagSafe power port, Gigabit Ethernet port, One FireWire 800 port, Two USB 2.0 ports, Mini DisplayPort, Audio line in, Audio line out, ExpressCard/34 slot, and a Kensington lock slot. The optical drive is on the other side. It looks just like an optical drive.

A core strength in the new Macbook Pro is the ability to swap out hard drives, and the battery, very easily. You can swap between hard disk drives and solid state drives for the first ever (officially) on an Apple notebook. To many users, this equals pure bliss.

Initial impressions and reactions given from unboxing and handling the Macbook Pro have been impressive. Apple has clearly been working on this for a long time and the level of refined detail can be seen when the box is first opened. From first picking up the machine, to flipping the lid open, design and aesthetic influence taken from the Macbook Air and iMac have been fused together to produce Apple’s classiest notebook yet.

Stay tuned, MacBlogz will continue to provide in depth reviews and analysis of Apple’s new notebook line.

Update: Per request, I’ve uploaded some more photos at the MacRumors forums here.

26 Comments to “New 15″ Macbook Pro: First Unboxing Photos and Impressions”

Christina @ October 15th, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Two Words:
So. Jealous.

jojo22 @ October 15th, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Ordered mine this morning !!! WOO-HOO !!!

your hero @ October 15th, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Did you get SSD in it?

jojo22 @ October 15th, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Nope. no SSD. I will get an SSD HD, only i’ll get it 3rd party and swap it at my will

JohnS @ October 15th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

How’s the weight comparison to the old Macbook Pro? Or I mean, the most recent Macbook Pro?

Aviv @ October 15th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

The new model is simply a pleasure to hold and use. It feels much more sturdy than its predecessor. The shell is marvelous and the general finish used on the metal surround the entire notebook is awesome.

The weight is similar. As you can see from Apple’s specs, it weighs about 5.5 lbs, but the weight/load balancing is spot on. The unibody is beyond worth every penny for these notebooks.

philamac @ October 15th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Can you please get some details on the system config, and tell us if this thing is a Intel P9400 or an Intel P9500?? post on macrumors too when you know!

Aviv @ October 15th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Just did… I posted there as well.

I am fairly confident it’s the P9500. Here’s a link to some processor info:

LINK: http://processorfinder.intel.com/det…px?sSpec=SLB4E

Let me know if you need me to do any other checks. If you want a 100% for certain answer, you’ll need to give me a few hours.

Chris McCaw (MacShill) @ October 15th, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Wow. That’s SMEXY! :] I want one *now*. I’ve never even laid HANDS on a Mac before and this will be my first one. I want the Pro.

Thank you soooooo much for posting them.

Chris McCaw (MacShill) London, Ontario, Canada @ October 15th, 2008 at 5:17 pm

jealous

Teki @ October 16th, 2008 at 7:30 am

So jealous too ;)

JohnS @ October 15th, 2008 at 9:02 pm

These are actually some of the better taken photos I’ve seen. Good work.

Max (Zohan) Rudman @ October 15th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Aviv Im proud to see you supporting my stock? Hows the demand on these babies in Portland? Ill be getting my hands on a regular macbook in the months to come-echecm 16th birthday

Ari Arapostathis @ October 16th, 2008 at 11:42 am

Some reviews say it is the T9400.
It is simple to verify – use the following command:

/usr/sbin/ioreg -lw0 | grep CPUBrand

and please let us know.

Many thanks in advance

Ari Arapostathis @ October 16th, 2008 at 11:50 am

Unfortunately it is the T9400 (Apple is becoming cheap …)

Aviv @ October 16th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I think it’s only a minor % difference between the two processors.

John Crimmings @ October 17th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Is there a return of the embedded numeric keypad (accessed by the Function key) which was absent on the last models? I use it for all number entry (can almost do it blindfolded and miles easier than use the upper row of keys once you’re used to it)
Thanks

Herotia @ October 17th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

If I understand you correctly, then yes. I have been able to do that on my Macbook. I’m sure it works on the MBP as well.

John Crimmings @ October 17th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Herotia. Just to confirm. If you press fn+ j, a “1″ is generated, fn+ k generates a 2, fn + u generates a 4 etc. I checked with the Sydney Applestore this morning and they thought it was no longer supported. Is it just that the numbers aren’t physically shown on the keys but that the functionality still exists. Sorry to labour it but it would bug me enough not to upgrade from my Macbook Pro from 2006l
Many thanks
John

herotia @ October 17th, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Bleh. When I check again, after trying all the settings. Nothing is getting it to work. Like u said, it works on an old notebook, but not my new Macbook. Bummer. Sorry mate.

Is this seriously going to make u not switch to the new MBP because of this one function though?

John Crimmings @ October 17th, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Maybe…… I’m an Optometrist, and I use the numeric keypad all day for scripts, keying calculations into Excel etc. I’m faster with the keypad then a full sized keyboard with separate number keys or separate keypad (which is what I will have to eventually get I guess). It feels really slow and awkward using the the row of number keys across the top, akin to two finger typing. I been tracking how often I use the numeric keypad even in safari filling out forms etc and I know I’ll really miss it, but the new models are the first ones I have been tempted with for a while ….

Andrew @ October 19th, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Very nice photos, and yes, I too am jealous. That said, I just bought a MacBook Pro last week and opted instead for the outgoing model. While the new one, especially the solid aluminum casing, is gorgeous, I just can’t trust my essential business files to a “Rev A” product again. I was badly burned twice, first with the first generation 12″ PowerBook and again with the first MacBook, so now I buy last year’s technology.

I will get the new MacBook Pro, when I am next in the market, say 2011 or so. By then these should be at “Rev C”.

One other issue, I prefer the matte screen on the older model, but I know I am a minority and it isn’t a deal-killer.

fastdude7 @ October 21st, 2008 at 6:19 pm

It doesn’t look that Pro from the pictures compared to the older model manly because of the keyboard. What is the keyboard like to type with is it better or worse then the old Macbook pro (because the macbook’s is really crap). What does it sound like when you shut the lid can you shut it fast and it doesn’t harm the machine like the old ones?

Aviv @ October 21st, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Well, I am an avid supporter of the “Chicklet” style keyboard that has been spread across all of Apple’s notebooks. I think it’s much more of a joy to type on. The lid, with the magnetic closure as apposed to the old latch enclosure, also feels much sleeker. I am not sure shutting the lid too fast would necessarily harm your machine, unless you’re literally slamming it shut.

sidharth @ January 15th, 2009 at 12:50 am

woah… im so dying right now to get that… my parents just aren’t ready to get me one… its so beautiful… any ideas to convince them?? iLove Apple!!!

A-j @ August 11th, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Great photos. Thinking of buying a macbookpro in Oct 09.