Warning: file() [function.file]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /homepages/30/d186991128/htdocs/MacBlogzStaging/wp-content/themes/macblogz/header.php on line 101

Warning: file(http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=AAPL&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv) [function.file]: failed to open stream: Success in /homepages/30/d186991128/htdocs/MacBlogzStaging/wp-content/themes/macblogz/header.php on line 101

iPhone Tethering: AT&T May Shock Us All and Charge $10

AT&T may shock and surprise most of us as well as their competitors and charge much less than initially expected for an iPhone tethering plan. Additionally, sources report that there is much buzz surrounding iPhone tethering internally at AT&T.

preAn iPhone tethering plan has been in the works for some time now. We know for a fact that Apple and AT&T have been working on a tethering plan, and we know that AT&T has been extremely cautious when dealing with more pressure being put on their 3G cellular network.

When MacBlogz first got word of some initial tethering details, the price of the entire plan seemed a little high, although not surprising. Specifically, the $30 price-point and 5GB data cap did not go over well with most people. These two points were what most people, as well as us have been concerned about the most.

• Will be +$30/month, new iPhone plans may be rolled out with tethering rolled in.
• 5GB Data Cap (just like Blackberry users) – AT&T will automatically turn off your tethering connection if you use too much bandwidth. Of note, the 5GB cap might get sliced for all users, not just iPhone users, in order to accommodate all new tethering plan customers (bandwidth demand).

Without having to contact my colleagues at AT&T, they got a hold of me to share some more information about the plan. To start things off, it did not show up this week, and a launch date has not been set. Recent reports about degradation to AT&T’s 2G service have nothing to do with AT&T clearing up bandwidth space for their 3G network. In regards to what may seem like a slow down of their 2G network, it should kick up faster than before. “Think of it as cleaning up a messy room,” they explained.

The biggest piece of information we learned was that AT&T is playing around with a $10 price-point. This made my eyes light up and I asked them how they could get away with charging a third of what was initially reported, here’s the response I got. “iPhone tethering is primarily an AT&T offering, but it involves Apple at least wanting or allowing the service, which they do. If it doesn’t function as expected, I know of a few people who may lose their jobs,” my colleague explained. “While you may think it’s as easy as streamlining our Blackberry tethering service over to the iPhone, it’s not. Connection may be tied into iTunes, and Apple is incredibly controlling when it comes to this space.”

If AT&T did charge around $10 for independent iPhone tethering, it’s sure to be a hit. Even those on the fence with purchasing or adding this to their cell phone account may do it out of curiosity. $10 per month is much different than $30 per month. As for an expected launch date, nothing has been even internally discussed yet with his department, but we were informed that people are buzzing about iPhone tethering all over AT&T, so it may be sooner rather than later. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t made available before the end of first quarter in 2009.

82 Comments to “iPhone Tethering: AT&T May Shock Us All and Charge $10”

dave @ January 9th, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Why? This so-called ‘charge’ is basically just double-dipping. It doesn’t increase the amount of data you can download to your phone. It doesn’t increase the speed you get the data. It doesn’t remove any limitations on what data you allowed to transfer (ie, VOIP traffic).

Basically, you are paying AT&T extra for the ‘right’ to transfer data between two devices that you yourself own.

Only $10/month. What a deal!

lucas @ January 10th, 2009 at 7:13 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --2

i think you are missing part of the point.

tethering is about your computer. it’s using your phone as a modem. so yeah, you could end up downloading a lot more data than you would to your phone.

N95 User @ January 10th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

lol YOU are missing the point. You already own the phone, you own the computer, and you ALREADY PAY FOR BANDWIDTH. Tethering should be free and on most other smartphones is! Enjoy paying $10 for what everyone else gets for free

Richard Head @ September 26th, 2009 at 4:03 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

Unlimited data plan. Let’s start with the definition of Unlimited: “having NO limits in range or scope. Need I say more. At&t already added a $10 a month to subsidize the price of the iPhone 3G. After 2 years you’ve paid back the price of the phone but are still giving At&t and extra $10 a month. After 2 years this should be free because we’ve paid our due’s. Lucas, what do you think about those APPLES?

topcatone @ January 12th, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Im just waiting for the next jailbreak… im not paying 10 freakin pennies… the only reason I bought this junk is for the internet tethering when im away on military functions…. now that its gone i have two lap tops… iphone and a mac pro…. combined useless…. let me know if there is a device that will allow me to take my sim card out put it in the device and bam usb internet…

tkdnate @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:55 pm

You are paying for an estimated amount of bandwidth usage, based upon the capabilities of the device. In general, smartphone users use more data than feature phone users, and pay more for it. In general, tethered data users use more data than smartphone users, and pay more for it.

Tethering is not usually dependent on the phone, but the provider.
AT&T Data: $30; tethering: +$30 (5GB cap)
Verizon Data: $40; tethering: +$15 (5GB cap)
Sprint Data: $30; tethering: unknown – none of the plans seem to allow tethering, but there is mention of a phone-as-modem addon I can’t find
T-Mobile Data: +$25 for 400msgs and unlimited data; tethering: free (bandwidth throttling for “excessive use”)

spooky @ September 3rd, 2009 at 5:54 pm

$10 is incredibly cheap for tethering! $30 on top of the iPhone’s $30 data plan would be cheap! Check the competition! I paid $50 on top of my $30 smartphone data plan to tether to my Blackberry with USCellular–and their network is definately SLOWER THAN AT&T’S. That’s why I switched to AT&T. Get your facts straight.

sonebezi @ March 25th, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I think DAVE made the point exactly. I am not paying another dime to these att cocksuckers. For an already exorbitant price, Hey AT&T have you ever heard of a company called Sprint F*** Off

nico @ January 9th, 2009 at 4:20 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --2

$10 is a shit ton better than $30. When they said $30 nobody was happy… When they say $10 nobody is happy. If it was free, people would ask for something else. Be happy when things like are mentioned or talked about, even if they don’t come true.

Pimp@aol.com @ January 10th, 2009 at 1:55 am

Well underneath all this, there is one problem that no one seems to mention.

ATT tethering for 30usd = bad

ATT tethering for 10usd = bad

Cydia PDAnet tethering for FREE = great

Who the hell is gonna wanna pay for something that can be gotten for free???

jason @ January 10th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

If you want some crappy connection listen to this guy.

Paul @ January 11th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

PDANet is a great app, not slow at all. I’ve used it, speed tested it, and it’s been flawless on my jailbroken iPhone. Another jailbreak app, iPhone Modem, didn’t work very well at all. PDANet gives a great connection anywhere you have a good 3G data link.

However, PDANet isn’t free, it’s $25 unless you just want to use for HTTP. It does give you a 15 day trial period.

Until Apple figures out how to break all jailbreaking, I’ll just stick to PDANet. AT&T can take their tethering plan to a monkey prom, whether it’s $5 or $50.

Brandon @ June 9th, 2009 at 5:36 am

If you are going to have to pay for it then how can it “be gotten for free?”

spooky @ September 3rd, 2009 at 6:00 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

“Well underneath all this, there is one problem that no one seems to mention.

ATT tethering for 30usd = bad

ATT tethering for 10usd = bad

Cydia PDAnet tethering for FREE = great

Who the hell is gonna wanna pay for something that can be gotten for free???”

People who are not thieves. If you find AT&T’s bandwidth prices too high you are free not to use them. You are not free to steal bandwidth from them.

rave @ December 19th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

LOL….how is it stealing if u r already being charged for an UNLIMITED data plan…hey…I dont even use pda net, I just add the tethering profile….

Dennis @ January 10th, 2009 at 6:00 am

In the meantime, I’ll continue to use PDANet for free on a jailbroken phone. I’d rather use a legit option, but I don’t have much of a choice right now otherwise.

Mitchell @ January 10th, 2009 at 6:13 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

Or you could get a Samsung Omnia and do it for free.

Ben @ January 10th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

But then you’d have to get a Samsung Omnia.

curtis blackwood @ January 10th, 2009 at 6:15 am
Jasper @ January 10th, 2009 at 7:24 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --13

I was dissatisfied with this article because I had to read it through and infer what tethering means. I am certain that my writing professors would agree with me. Sorry, but thumbs down on the article for that reason.

Jason @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:32 am

Luckily this is not a writing class, but a tech blog where the most basic technical jargon (i.e. tethering) is not easily lost on the vast majority of it’s readers.

jason @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:47 am

Im sorry jasper, but “tethering” is a rather common word in this area, and most people that would have need for it would know what it means. It is like if an engineering article used the word “capacitor”… I am sure you have heard the word, but do you know what it means?

If you ask your professors, it has a lot to do with the audience reading the article. Using the word without defining it is fine in this particular case.

jason @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:50 am

anyway… when in doubt, just google it. was it really all that hard to look up to begin with? most likely took you less time to figure out what it was than to write your post.

spooky @ September 3rd, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Most people know what tethering means. The author isn’t responsible for filling in the gaps in your education.

LS in SH @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:38 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --8

I’m with Jasper … I came from an outside source and have no clue what tethering means either ::shrug::. Probably very interesting to those that only need updates; useless as a public article.

PoliticOh @ September 3rd, 2009 at 10:11 pm

If you don’t know what something means, look it up. This is a simple concept… why don’t you get it? I learned this in elementary school.

Bobby @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:47 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --10

What the hell is tethering???

jason @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:51 am

Definition of tethering – http://tinyurl.com/8kdwdq

Seriously people.. it isnt all that hard….

Anne @ January 10th, 2009 at 8:55 am

“The first definition of tethering refers to using a cell phone as a modem for your laptop or PDA. Creating a connection either with cables or wirelessly “tethers” your cell phone to your other mobile device. “

jason @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:00 am

aww, I liked my definition better.. letmegooglethatforyou is the greatest resource ever, because it shows people that it is seriously just a google search away… seriously, if you were to type “tethering” into the address bar while using firefox, it would define it right away.

Dave @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:13 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --5

John @ August 3rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm

First, this isn’t a journalism course. Second, are you kidding me? Why the heck would you send your mom a tech article about tethering if she has no idea what tethering is? That is a horrible example even for Journalism 101!

Soupie @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:19 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --10

I am an MIT graduate, founder of my own technology company and reside on the BOD of several others. I have a graduate degree and recently completed my D.Tech at Stanford. What is tethering?

Hang on, Soupie @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:34 am

“Tethering” is one of the many words one can use as a search engine query term.

Arly @ January 10th, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Well, to be fair, until I actually got a smartphone for myself, I never needed to know what tethering was in the first place. Just because an article is on the internet and two clicks away from Google doesn’t mean you can relax journalistic standards. I could take this argument to its logical extreme and re-write this article to substitute applicable terms found only in the Encyclopedia Dramatica or in Esperanto. It’s a well-written article, but the editor should have caught this point.

That being said, I can’t justify paying for tethering service on a monthly basis (okay, a one-time software fee per device I can understand). Even if I was a business that purchased iPhones for my mobile employees, I could just tell the guys in IT Support to jailbreak the company iPhones during company time. AT&T will make some money off of this offering, but not as much as they’d like- they’re trying to sell a geek-feature to a community of geeks who can out-geek corporate geeks any geek-day of the week.

celina @ January 20th, 2009 at 11:04 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --9

From :P rince Peter

I am Prince Peter only son of late Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Peter My father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan , the economic capital of Ivory coast, my father was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings on a business trip .

My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my father on August 2007 in a private hospital here in Abidjan he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of twelve million,five hundred thousand United State Dollars. USD ($12,500,000.00) left in fixed / suspense account in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan ,that he used my name as his only son for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund. He
also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business ssociates.

That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose such as real estate management or hotel management .

Dear, I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways:
(1) To provide a bank account into which this money would be transferred to .

(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 23years.

(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country.

Moreover, Dear,This is a full 100% risk free, i am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated account overseas.

Furthermore, you indicate your options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14) days you signify
interest to assist me. Anticipating to hear from you soon.
Thanks and God bless. this in my line +225 05352611

E_mail(princepeter208@yahoo.co.th)
Best regards,

Prince Peter

Cory @ January 28th, 2009 at 9:52 pm

LOL, classic.

flash @ July 7th, 2009 at 5:34 am

Wow, really? You mean you want to send me money, for nothing? What a nice guy. why aren’t there more people like you online offering to include me in some complex scheme whereby I give you my personal information and you steal my identity while I wait for you to send me some ridiculous sum of money. I think anyone dumb enough to fall for this is probably too dumb to even use a computer.

I almost fell for it…. NOT!

pocowok @ July 11th, 2009 at 1:02 am

Your story can qualify for the “forensic file”. Can you elaborate on your father’s death?

Stephen @ September 9th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Hilarious!! I can’t believe people have tried to turn a technical blog into a writing/journalism class! LOL
Thanks for the laugh.

Smarter than MIT Grad @ July 4th, 2009 at 8:11 am

Wow you are dumb!

Takla @ September 17th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Then you should go back to school, dumbass!

NordicNINE @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:47 am

I would think the application would be much better if it acted like a router.

NordicNINE @ January 10th, 2009 at 9:52 am

Ah ha, sorry, it looks like the PDAnet software does act like that, so it would be very easy to have an official app act like that.

So, I’m confused by the tethering term when used with this.
Will it be a true tethering where you can use only one PC/laptop (wired or wireless) or will it act as a router?

Does PDAnet allow more than one PC to connect wirelessly?

sprintluvr @ January 10th, 2009 at 5:08 pm

HTC Titan on Sprint SERO: $30/month for 500 daytime, unlimited night/weekend minutes. Unlimited texts and picture messages. SprintTV. GPS. Unlimited Internet @ ~ 1 Mbps. Windows Mobile makes it trivial to tether the phone to the PC (it’s built-in to the OS as “Internet Connection Sharing”), and with a faster CPU the bandwidth goes to 1.5 Mbps. Using WMWiFiRouter, phone can bind 3G to WiFi and Bluetooth and act as a router, enabling multiple clients to attach to it. I even attach my Touch to it and use fring for VOIP goodness. Even if I could get this on ATT with Iphone, I think it would cost around $150/month. Sprint does it *all* for $30.month. No wonder carriers love Iphoners… they are willing to spend so much money for what should be basic services.

tkdnate @ January 10th, 2009 at 10:06 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

This is why Sprint lost $326 million in the third quarter of 2008.

Sergey @ January 11th, 2009 at 1:24 am

I would think the application would be much better if it acted like a router.
The iPhone has WiFi & 3G, so similar to a PC with two connections, you should be able to setup a software router..

Ed @ January 11th, 2009 at 7:53 am

It’s fairly easy to tether a smartphone to your computer and then set up your laptop to rebroadcast the connection to other computers. In essence, this turns your PC into a router by setting up an ad-hoc computer-to-computer network from your PC.

There is a video tutorial on how to do this on CNet, and I’ve successfully used it with a Verizon Blackberry and a PC. I believe there are instructions for Mac OS X on the video as well.

Watch Make your laptop a hot spot from CNET TV:

The $10 price seems much more reasonable. Verizon’s tethering plan is only $15 on top of the $30 Blackberry data plan. So, total data cost is $45. AT&T’s originally proposed $30 is pretty crazy, especially if they are going to cap it at 5 GB.

Ed @ January 11th, 2009 at 7:54 am

Oh, the instructions are for sharing a wired Ethernet connection, but it works fine for a tethered connection as well.

Morten @ June 20th, 2009 at 11:27 am

A router approach is NOT easier. I just tried this on my iPhone. These were the steps:
1. Plug my iPhone into my laptop USB.
2. Go to network settings on my iPhone and flip the tethering switch to “On”.

The moment I flipped the switch on the phone, Windows automatically detected a network device, installed the driver and started using it. Tell me how that can be easier using the phone as a router?

Ed @ January 12th, 2009 at 7:54 am

“Recent reports about degradation to AT&T’s 2G service have nothing to do with AT&T clearing up bandwidth space for their 3G network. In regards to what may seem like a slow down of their 2G network, it should kick up faster than before. “Think of it as cleaning up a messy room,”

So they admit that due to their lack of care their 2G network is a mess attributing to the general slowness of their 2G network. I wonder what their 3G room looks like, with all the complaints about their 3G networks, the messy room might actually be a messy warehouse.

boomboomrama @ January 12th, 2009 at 10:11 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

So just to be clear about tethering, does AT&T charge monthly for the iPhone wifi capability? Cause I think it’s bullshit that I’m paying to connect to my OWN internet service that I’m already paying for.

JeffPom @ January 12th, 2009 at 11:08 am

Yes, you are correct – there is no charge for wifi capability.

In fact, there are many AT&T hotspots that are now free for you. (Starbucks included.)

JeffPom @ January 12th, 2009 at 11:07 am

Folks:

AT&T is treating the iPhone as any other smartphone in it’s lineup, and rightfully so. It is, after all, a smartphone. It has corporate email exchange, data capabilities, etc… just like any of it’s other PDAs (Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Palm devices…)

I’m so SICK of hearing about how it’s too expensive! Look at the other plans – iPhone users pay NO MORE than ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE with AT&T! Blackberry? SAME. Palm Centro? SAME. Motorola Q, HTC Pro, Samsung Blackjack? SAME, SAME, SAME.

Tethering on any of those devices is NOT free (unless you download a program like PDAnet, or do a hack. “Official” Tethering on those devices is $30, capped at 5 gb. Therefore, “Official” Tethering on iPhone – will most likely be – ready? $30! Surprise. (DOH!)

If you want it to be free – jailbreak it and hack it. You’ll find ways for it to happen.

In the meantime – please, I ask – seriously, stop whining and realize you have a PDA device that lines up with the others. In fact – it’s better. Be happy it’s not more.

Morten @ June 20th, 2009 at 11:30 am

What he said. :-)

Rob @ July 10th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Finally! There have been so many speculative articles about AT&T’s tethering prices, and it seems like nobody’s bothered to look at what they charge on every other smartphone. The original iPhone had an abnormally cheap data plan associated with it (the regular non-smartphone MediaNet plan).

+$30 seems like outrageous double-dipping to me. Every phone I’ve ever used has had the ability to tether, AT&T’s just never been capable of enforcing the extra fee. Even my crappy old Nokia 3650 and Motorola V551 could do it.

It seems like Apple has made it awfully easy to “hack” enable the tethering feature. A “Carrier testing” setting in iTunes? Really? The ability to update an unsigned profile straight from Safari on the phone itself? I’ll be very curious to see how the official tethering is switched on and off by AT&T when they start offering it.

I’m sure the jailbreakers will figure out how to keep it working. If not, worst case I’ll go back to my SSH tunnel via the sync cable. That works well enough for my very occasional use anyway.

alerr @ January 19th, 2009 at 1:24 am
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

Um… Jasper is right. I know what tethering is but an article should be written with a broad audience in mind. what if I wanted to send this link to my mom? she has an iphone but probably doesn’t know what the hell tethering is. it’s journalism 101. all you need is a sentence..

enrie @ January 20th, 2009 at 2:51 am

I would think the application would be much better if it acted like a router.

€hR!$ @ January 25th, 2009 at 5:15 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --1

If I ever can’t use PdaNet any more, I’ll go ahead with this. :) Especially if it’s $10/month. I just hope the iPhone not charging while tethering issue gets resolved because it drains my iPhone so freaking fast. If it would charge while tethering, then I could just plug my USB cable into my iPhone and get a good 4 hours of computer use on a charge. :)

Christina Sciubba @ January 28th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I for one am one of those on the fence. I have a macbook, an iPod touch and would very much like to have the iPhone. However, I do not wish to pay a $30 monthly charge. If At&T drops it to $10 I’ll be at the store the very next day to purchase and upgrade my phone. :)

Healthy Guy @ February 4th, 2009 at 10:32 pm

@jasper i really doubt you’d send this article to someone who doesn’t know what tethering is. if they don’t know they likely don’t care enough about the price difference

the_hacker @ February 6th, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Or you can use PdaNet as explained http://hacksandhints.techievarta.com/2009/02/06/tethering-iphone/. This gets 2.3Mbps which is ok for most purposes.

David @ March 19th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I’m just curious as to whether or not anyone has been charged anything extra or has been hassled by AT&T after having tethered their iphone with PdaNet? I just started using it and I’m a bit paranoid.

Thanks!

Chris @ May 23rd, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Has anybody been charged for using PdaNet and how long have you been using this application?

Thank you!

Mike @ May 28th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

In case tethering is very important and $$ is an issue … Any unlocked Windows Mobile device includes internet sharing application, which allows connecting your PC to the device and use it as a network card. This works over both BT adn USD … but it is a windows device … however, the later HTC’s ones are reasonable choice.
And I agree that these services must be for free. Compared to what you pay and what you get to Europe it really sucks in the USA :(

SEOsean @ June 8th, 2009 at 12:46 pm
 Add karma Subtract karma  --2

AT&T to release tethering option today (6/8/09), or so a rep tells me: http://www.seosean.com/blog/iphone-att-to-release-tethering-option-today

Morten @ June 20th, 2009 at 11:31 am
trevor @ July 1st, 2009 at 1:07 pm

The tethering plan should not be more than $10, since iPhone users are already paying $30 a month for mobile internet ($35 with 200 text messages). $10 tethering would bring the total for data to $40 a month, and would justify the overpriced mobile internet monthly charge.

JEk @ July 7th, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Just download the file for your carrier at help.benm.at. Then click install and you have tethering. No reboot, no jailbreaking…

dana @ July 15th, 2009 at 8:25 am

i just bought three 3g s’ yesterday… tethering is very inportant to me as i live just past nowhere in the country….. what is the latest movement on at&t allowing it?

Jacob @ July 24th, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Yeah i found a site that puts the iphone tethering option on my iphone without jailbreaking or hacking of any kind but….. It does not work, like it says its tethering but its not! If u want the site to try for urself then email me at J_mac890@yahoo.com

Bill @ July 30th, 2009 at 3:28 am

I have been tethering about a year with no flak from ATT, then I discovered something even better than PDAnet.

Google MyWi. I have it and it works on my 3GS without jailbreaking. Get this; I sat in the Apple store and installed it right after purchasing my 3GS iPhone, using their wireless hotspot in the store! Installation so easy a caveman could do it.

My 3GS is now a wireless router or it can USB tether. It puts an icon on your phone just like an iTunes store app.
My specs: I have a non unibody Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz. Using Bootcamp Windows XP in Leopard, I can tether with either USB or wirelessly. In USB mode it seems faster than PDAnet. My iPhone is now capable of literally becoming a wireless hotspot for not only me but any of my friends can share the signal if they have a laptop with wifi capability. You can use WEP key for privacy. Only caveat is sometimes you must reboot to shut it off, but hopefully this bug will be worked out soon. Also for some reason it only lets me upload pics to Photobucket in OSX Leopard on my machine. These are bugs I can easily put up with for a one time payment of $10. I can surf anywhere since it does not use Proxy.

Also you are liable to get battery drain while tethering wirelessly even if your phone is plugged in; but get this: since I bought a mophie juice pack air for my 3GS the phone will actually charge when in wireless mode, so in my case no worries. Can’t promise it will work for you though, maybe it’s just a freak incident.

Look, AT&T can confer about when they will allow tethering till sometime next year; if you want to wait for what other companies are allowing its your choice. I’m having fun with my new 3GS, made even better when used as a mobile hotspot. I never thought the iPhone could be capable of such an incredible thing and it is to me now one of the coolest things I have ever owned.

Tethering Cheat @ August 1st, 2009 at 4:26 pm

This is scary. I went to http://help.benm.at/help.php and just followed the directions. I clicked on the AT&T logo to install the config settings, clicked install and when the pass code screen popped up I entered the passcode I had created for my iPhone. I again followed directions to enable tethering on my iPone = Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering > On. In less than two minutes I was done. I plugged my iPhone into my PC with the USB connecting cable and my PC immediately recognized the iPhone and connected to the Internet through the iPhone.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK does anyone really know if AT&T is going to send me a bill now for a zillion $$ for using a little tethering? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t plan to down load movies or massive files but sometimes use my laptop instead of the micro screen on the iPhone. If/when they allow tethering I’ll give them the $30 or so they plan to charge per month for the “extra” feature of tethering, but until then I want to use what I just did.

David @ August 27th, 2009 at 10:56 pm

this is exactly what i did. took less than 2 minutes. flipped off the wifi switch on my laptop and am all tethered right now as i type this. but you must go to that web site on your iphone scroll down to mobilconfigs under tethering and internet settings then follow the rest of the directions

Bill @ August 2nd, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I have been tethering about a year now with Apple’s approved Netshare app, which they took down eventually, PDAnet and now MyWi. Never saw my bill increase. But yeah, if and when they approve the $10 tethering/month I might be inclined to take the offer; I don’t think I would for a higher fee though.

Bill @ August 17th, 2009 at 7:12 am

I was just at an ATT store this weekend and the employee told me the tethering and MMS messages will be available at the end of summer or early fall (soon). MMS will be free but the tethering WILL costs $60/month which is what they charge for the wireless cards. Which is BS. I used one of there cards before and it is a new phone number. I am using an existing line. These corporate a-holes just cant resist screwing over their customer for a few more bucks.

David @ August 27th, 2009 at 10:47 pm

well i’m tethered with my new iphone 3g right now for free without jailbreaking. look on youtube very simple. i speed tested it and i got 1.31 up and .31 down which is just about the same as my dsl. no way in hell would i pay to tether ever. you gotta love hackers. now all i have to do is get myself a netbook and i’m set.

Kolby @ November 7th, 2009 at 8:56 am

Tethering is free. And the amount of data uploaded cannot exceed the maximum amount that the 3G network can handle. Keep that in mind. It doesnt matter if the data is coming in over the phone or from the phone to your laptop. There is no difference, unless you will spend more time staring at your larger screen and typing faster on the keyboard to browse web pages AT&T cant tell wether you are tethering or not.

This is coming from a previous AT&T employee ;)

JLT @ November 13th, 2009 at 8:24 am

This plan makes sense, and it doesn’t. Tethering is a wondrous feature in most smart phones offered today, but it means one deadly complication for any service provider. Increased traffic. The simple fact of the matter is that using your 3G via tethered notebook optimizes your connection. The increased speed in hardware on the notebook vs. the smart phone has you running 3G at it’s full potential. No micro GPU trying to draw webpages at crippled speeds, no cut back RAM of 256 MB dumping and fetching cache on the fly where as a notebook can store cache on a proper hard drive. Along with that, the improved screen real estate and giant keyboard allow for easier use of a browser and longer e-mails. You’ll find yourself tethering more often than not. Even a giant network like Verizon would have trouble if everyone one of their 3G customers decided to tether tomorrow. The tether charge (or mobile internet charge) is simply a traffic control system that also prevents the cannibalization of the mobile internet business at the same time. At least AT&T is keeping the charge at a reasonable rate. That being said; Non US carriers like Rogers in Canada and O2 in parts of Europe aren’t charging for tethering, but there’s a huge trade off. These carriers have strict caps. anywhere from 1GB to 6GB monthly plans. Those who have the fore thought to sign onto a 6GB plan (and the budget) will get full benefits, seeing as the physical limitations of 3G in the first place means that reaching 6GB of mobile data means hours upon hours upon hours of uploading and downloading (it once took me 12 minutes to send a 5 MB attachment to a client on 3G). While those on a 1GB plan will start to feel the pinch as they notice their monthly traffic almost double with tethering capabilities. So, an extra ten bucks vs. 30 on some carriers and possibly hundreds if you’re non-US for unlimited mobile data sounds fair to me.

jh @ December 1st, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Not defining your terms in an article is poor journalism. Ever since IBM first rolled out its enormous corporate computers, IT people have prided themselves on obfuscating issues to the layman,, and made a priesthood out of computer arcana. But when you put on a journalist’s hat, it’s time to stop being an arrogant 20 year old IT technician with his first office job and start being an adult. If you’re writing an article about tethering, tell us what it is. That is NOT beneath you.

Hova @ December 15th, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Ok if you don’t know what tethering is why the hell are you reading an article about it? Google the god damn word and write your OWN “journalistic” interpretation, the blogger is reporting news to the non ignorant.

Yashua @ February 6th, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Hi guys,
iPhoneTETHERING as of 2010 WORKS! at: http://MMS.ifind2.com
Just download it from there and follow the steps, regardless of what firmware you are using.